September 25, 2012

Saved by the Bell

As I stated much earlier today (there isn't much of that left is there?) college has started afresh. I have class on Mondays and Wednesdays, which leaves Tuesdays open for loads of homework. And I did have loads. Besides reading two chapters from a book I hated the first time I took the class, I also had to read 3 shorts from Isaak Babel, an author I do not admire. Now, that doesn't seem like loads of homework and for the average student it's probably like sitting down and reading a standard textbook. For your average smart student it's a walk in the park.

I am neither of those kinds of students and I'm certainly not average. Being a unique reader and working around crippling dyslexia is not an easy feat, but it's one I've cultured for the past 5 years. So, it took me the entire day to get one precisely one chapter done. I've read one of the Babel shorts before and remember it quite well. I cannot stand his work, so I'm not going to cram his other two tonight because he's not worth it. I will read them at my leisure tomorrow before class.

As for the two chapters I was supposed to have done. The text is "Reading Like a Writer" by Francine Prose. Not only did I write in the book but I wrote on the book. That's right, I have written notes on the front and back covers of the book. None of them nice comments either, I decided to give my own reviews next to the ones printed on the covers. I hated Prose back when I first took the class. I believe I stated in my essay then that she "truly makes watching paint dry look like an aggressive spectator sport." I remembered her writing as being dull and boring and very hard to get through because of that. I figured after three years and learning how to read more critically, I would probably enjoy her work now.

I was wrong. If anything, I hate her work even more. She is as dull and boring as ever if not more so. Last time I read her book I didn't put any notes int he margins, or cross out bits I disagreed with, or anything like that. This time round I had a blast writing all over it! When my camera has a living battery again, I will take pictures to show you just how much fun I had fixing her text. She had taken what was supposed to be a fun day of reading and taking notes into a bore-fest where I smacked my head more than once against my desk and deeply wished to play reverse-Russian-roulette (where all but one cartridge is full of bullets). That's how awful my day has been.

I revised my paint statement from three years ago. Here's the revision: "I understand that Prose is trying to incite passion into a reader's soul when the partake in the art of reading. Unfortunately, in this particular reader, she not only sucked away that passion but instilled a strong desire to run smiling into the open arms of death, so that this reader may be spared from the dull ramblings of a woman whose craft has taken the act of watching paint dry and turned it into a lively spectator sport worthy of the Olympics." That's how boring she is.

I have to have to other chapter finished before class so that I'm not left behind in the class discussions. Seeing how I have four hours to kill, I don't see how that'll be a problem. Today I tried to be critical and take thorough notes. Tomorrow, I'm just breezing through Prose and Babel. Can't wait to take on Gardner. He's a jackass but at least he isn't a bore.

Until next time this is the Amazon Artiste signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment